Friday, August 29, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again

We officially wrapped up our first week of being back to school.  Senior year of college at Mansfield University of Pennsylvania for Chelsea, third grade for Alanna and kindergarten for Emilia.  It was a good week and I have nothing but positive thoughts for the school year ahead.  

It's been a big adjustment for the wee little one - complete with a meltdown in her classroom the very first day, but, thankfully, that was the worst of it and her big 3rd grade sister was there to calm her.   I was impressed that the teachers worked together along with the guidance teacher to accommodate Emmy's insecure feelings and help her to work through those "stranger danger" sensitivities.  Kudos!  Of course, anytime the phone rang, I jumped - immediately thinking it was the school with some urgent message regarding Em.  But, each day got better for her (and for me).   So incredibly grateful. 

Alanna acts as if she never even left.  The school groove is second nature to her by now and she loves (loves!) it.  She couldn't wait for school to begin again!  She missed her friends and the routine of school work.  

It's been strangely quiet at home for me, although I was more productive this week than in the past 10!!  I have a busy fall schedule ahead of me with plenty to look forward to!  There's a wedding coming up (actually two); family mini-portrait sessions; fall festival portrait sessions with dear friends; covering a large human resource symposium in Philadelphia, and the first weekend of December is Help-Portrait!!!  AND this winter I'll be attending Imaging USA in my old hometown of Nashville, TN!  Gah!!  Super stoked for it all!!  

Plus, I have been asked to join the wonderful teachers and staff at Robeson Lutheran Preschool for another year of "Building Substitute" work.  I get to fill in - those are some big shoes to fill - for teachers and aides when they need time off.  I enjoyed last year with the kiddos and the teachers; getting to know everyone, getting to learn the ins and outs - their curriculum, schedules, the inner workings of the school.  So, I am thrilled for another year and another opportunity for more ways to help my community, even if it is just a small part to play.      

If you've spent any amount of time here with me at my blog, than you know I am a regular blogger about the first day of school.  I can't help myself.  It's a big event in our lives and one that is rich with photo ops!!!  I'm all over that!  Here are my young girls on their first day back to school.  We didn't get a first day back to school pic from Chelsea.  Maybe she'll do that for us next semester!   Yes, please, Chels? 


Alanna and I read another horse story by Marguerite Henry:  Black Gold.  She's also the author of Misty of Chincoteague!  I am enthralled with the way she writes; her writer's voice is strong, clear, full of vivid imagery; she transports us to another time in history.  She was an extremely talented woman with a huge gift.  If you haven't read her yet, you really should!  You'll thank yourself.  

With that said, I leave you with some good ol' fashioned country music from the masterful Gene Autry in the spirit of everyone that finds themselves back in the saddle again, like us!!  Cheers to a fabulous "new" year, my friends!!    


No comments:

Post a Comment